Cloverdale is situated along the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River near the centre of the city. Settlement of Cloverdale began in the 1870s when two farms were established there. Today, three major roadways (98th Avenue, 99th Street, Connors Road) connect to two bridges (Low Level and James MacDonald) via Cloverdale.
Transportation facilities have figured predominantly in Cloverdale’s development. The North Saskatchewan River was the highway of the fur trade, and the Low Level Bridge was completed in 1902. A short time later, the Edmonton, Yukon, and Pacific Railways connected Edmonton to Strathcona via the Mill Creek Ravine and the Low Level Bridge. Less than 10 years later, the bridge was part of Edmonton’s streetcar system.
From the turn of the century until the early 1980s, municipal and provincial governments have sought to protect the North Saskatchewan River Valley for the recreational enjoyment of Edmontonians. The City of Edmonton also recognizes that the river valley communities could play a vital role in the development of the city’s core.
Most of what is now Cloverdale was annexed in 1907 by the Town of Strathcona and later became part of Edmonton when the two cities were amalgamated in 1912. By 1915, the neighbourhood was fully established with a school, stores, local industries, and churches. Recreational open space has become a major land use in the neighbourhood, and the beautiful Gallagher Park provides the stage for the annual Edmonton Folk Festival!