The Gold Bar area was originally known as Gold Bar Farm, which might be a reference to gold prospectors along this section of the North Saskatchewan River. The neighbourhood is bounded by 50th Street to the west, the Gold Bar and Goldstick Parks to the east, and 101st Avenue to the south.
The North Saskatchewan River Valley and Ravine System is a prominent feature for the residents of Gold Bar. A view of Goldstick Park, Gold Bar Ravine, and the river valley is possible on the north, east, and south sides of the neighbourhood. Development in Gold Bar occurred primarily during the 1950s.
The predominant structure type is the one-unit dwelling, which accounts for three quarters of the total dwelling units. A concentration of row housing units are located along the southern boundary of the neighbourhood. Gold Bar’s street network is a combination of crescents and a modified grid pattern.
Residents are served by businesses off 50th Street and 101st Avenue. Additional retail and service businesses are located at the nearby Capilano Mall. The west boundary of the neighbourhood is 50th Street, which provides residents with easy access to other areas of Edmonton.
Goldstick Park was named after Rabbi Hyman Goldstick (1882–1978), who was Edmonton’s first rabbi. Goldstick came to Edmonton in 1906 to assume teaching and religious leadership of the city’s small Jewish community. Rabbi Goldstick moved to Edson in 1912, where he served as mayor, town councillor, and a member of the school board.